Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Paintings

Eunuch 04/2010
Eunuch is a unique phenomenon in Chinese history. He is asexualized to serve the Chinese emperor. I paint this picture as inspired by gong-gong Wei (a famous eunuch manager in Ming Dynasty) and use intense contrast colors to convey the meaning: Chinese eunuch is like European jester, whose life is a contradiction of comedy and tragedy. The eunuch earns wealth and reputation while fawning the emperor, but “he” loses his personality and pride as a man. Beneath his ostensible satisfaction are the inmost inferiority and sadness.


Landscape 05/2010
Instructor: Caiyun Shou
The first piece is depicting the scenery of Honglou, a traditional Chinese courtyard in Hangzhou, my hometown, and the second piece is about the snow-covered landscape in Heilongjiang, a northern city of China. Actually I finished the second piece by depicting a photo.


Alley 08/2010
Instructor: Caiyun Shou
“The end of alley is the start of ordinary and happy life.” I believe the statement deeply. I’m always fascinated by the tranquility and remoteness every time I pass the alley. Thus I depicted two alleys to express my feelings: the first is on the Hongye Mountain and the second is in Shanxi.


Flowers 08/2010
The pictures are my first attempt trying to paint flowers by myself. Still life painting is a little different from landscape painting, since the color interaction between objects is more obvious. I polished this painting many times and at last, though the lapping cloth is still stiff, I think I made it.

No comments:

Post a Comment